New Year's Resolution: Couch to 5k


During my senior year at U of I, I resolved, along with some gal pals, to run a 5k. Never before had I been a runner. An athlete, yes, but never a runner. In fact, my general slowness and flat feet had always been a hindrance in sports. So I began to train slowly and surely by running at CRCE. Until...

...my shins began to ache so badly I could barely walk. After some healing time, a helpful consultation with an expert at Body N' Sole and some special running shoes, the shin splints went away. But my confidence was shattered and I gave up on my goal. Thanks to some inspiration from my brother and sister-in-law plus an awesome husband who is good at running, I have decided to run my first 5k on April 11, 2009. It should be a good time, with the race ending on the 50 yard line at Memorial Stadium.

Today was my first day of training. I alternated walking and jogging according to Day 1 Week 1 of the Couch to 5k plan which took me about 24 minutes. In that time I covered 1.5 miles. Not shabby for a first effort, I think.

0 comments: