Bed bugs, dust mites and worse. EWWW!

For those of you who don't already know, sometimes I get a little germophobic. I admit it is nonsensical, but there are just some things I have issues with. For example, I can sleep on a hotel bed. I can spend the night at someone's house. But, I cannot bring myself to buy a used mattress. It grosses me out. Here's a few fast facts for you, to feed my own fears.

Mattress: Buy a new one after 10 years because mattresses are impossible to clean. A 10-year-old mattress can have 10 million dust mites. An old mattress actually feels heavier because it is full of dust mites and their droppings.

Pillow: Throw it out after three years, but wash or dry clean twice a year. In the average used pillow, a British study found 1 million fungus spores, including species normally found in bread mold and shower walls.

Why so much thought on this topic? We just bought this beautiful trundle bed for our guests and future children:



We are in need of some mattresses, but don't have much money with which to buy them. Many people offer them for cheap or free on Craigslist, but I just can't do it.

What is one of your eccentricities?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um no can buy used mattresses here either and I use fancy pillow cases (read:expensive) on my own pillows because of my allergies. And I wash my own pillow every 6 weeks with Kolts (Im the only one who needs a pillow washed that often but I need Kolts pillow to balance the washer) You should check out big lots. We got our couch there... they have very cheap prices on furniture. That bed is awesome :)
Thats all I got

Jim said...

I only eat Jiff peanut butter.